And they whirl and they twirl and they tango

Infrequently updated, uninteresting blather.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Happy Birthday to Me

It's my birthday! Yay!

This will be brief (unusual for me, I know), but I have some shocking news for you folks. Z and I completed two items on the scavenger hunt earlier this evening, and we actually enjoyed both of them. I know this is hard to believe, and it may be that I've had a few beers at a local microbrewery with Gerg and Tibbets, but I actually had a lot of fun tonight. We went to Barton Springs pool, where the water from the natural spring is always a crisp, cool 68 degrees. I was pleased to notice that both Z and I are both inch-by-inchers when it comes to cold water. Maybe we don't walk at the same pace, but we had a lot of sympathy for each other as we eeked and squeeked our way into the chilly pool. After we finished swimming, we had to find a "shirtless, good-looking jogger on Pfluger bridge." As you can imagine, this second task was more difficult. First of all, who wants to stop a jogger? The jogger does not want to stop; if he was the kind of guy who stopped all the time to rest, he wouldn't be a jogger. He'd be...me. Joggers are trying to keep up their heart rate; if you stop one and ask him to take some stupid scavenger hunt picture with you, he'll probably throw your camera into the river. But Z and I figured out the solution: we took a picture with someone's labrador retriever. The lab was shirtless, and a good-looking dog indeed, and he was happily jogging along next to his master (who wasn't bad-looking himself, but was fully clothed). We got the point on an iffy technicality, but I don't think my boss should complain, seeing as how she only gave us this assignment because she wanted to get a picture of a sweaty runner hunk to put up on her wall. Serves her right. 

Maybe the scavenger hunt will be better from here on out. I can only hope. We've negotiated a possible extension, but I weakened our position by breaking one of the AmeriCorps rules today: I wore a Howard Dean t-shirt. I'm not allowed to promote any sort of political affiliation as a VISTA, seeing as how I might alienate the very people I'm trying to help by wearing a controversial t-shirt. I wouldn't want to scare away the poor by promoting a man that doesn't want their children to die in a meaningless war. That would be a tragedy. (This, Tim, is sarcasm.)

If you ever leave a comment, let it be today. I am 23 now, and I need your love and support during this crucial transition period.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday! :D

good luck on your scavenger hunt and such.

"Dear children, keep yourselves from idols." ;)

-matt

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To, Happy Birth, Happy, Hap, Hap, H, H, H,

That's the happy birthday song by the happy birthday condom. Hope you have a great day!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I frogot to say that the happy birthday singing gram from the condom was from me - Courtney

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home