And they whirl and they twirl and they tango

Infrequently updated, uninteresting blather.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Thanks for coming

Forgive me for being away so long. I know you're dying to hear news about my birthday. Well, the wait is over!!

I went home to Tulsa Saturday night, and my birthday was Thursday. 16 members of my immediate family showed up at my house Thursday night to celebrate ME. It was oh-so-nice! I even saw my Aunt Linda and Uncle Harold, who have been estranged from our family for quite some time (almost 8 years). Later that night, I met up with Sarah (college buddy and astrological twin), Phillip (her fiance), Dave (ex-boyfriend), and other Sarah (friend of Dave's) at a bar in the trendy Brookside district. We drank beer, listened to bad karaoke, chain smoked, and relived old times. Actually, most of the old times we left in the past, which is where Sarah and I both wanted them. What we really talked about is how eerily similar we are--you really wouldn't believe it. It's actually amazing that we met up at all, because one of the characteristics that we have most in common is the inability to put energy into relationships. Perhaps that's why we're drawn together, however; we don't have to worry that the other one will judge us for flaking out, not calling back, not writing back, etc. We'll understand.

I got back Friday night and slept at the Flea Motel, then returned home in the morning to clean my entire apartment for hours and hours. I was worried there would be an after-party at my place (that didn't happen) and I had to clean up for my houseguest (El Jefe). Yes, Jefe came all the way down to Austin just for my birthday. He seemed to enjoy the evening's festivities well enough, though perhaps not enough to have been worth a terrible drive both ways. Also, he refused my hospitable offer of breakfast yesterday morning, even after I carefully listed all of the breakfast-related contents of my refridgerator and pantry. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, Jefe--it makes you less grouchy when you encounter bad Texas drivers.

So...Saturday night. I met a few of the gal pals before we went to the bar, and let's just say we got the party started early. Then we went on to Opal Divine's and sat in the middle of what I can only describe as an absolute circus. There were roughly 35 people on the guest list, and I think most of them ended up coming at one point or another. I couldn't keep up with everyone, and I felt like I missed talking to a bunch of people, which was unfortunate. I admit my "partying" left me mostly incapable of human interaction, so I apologize to all of those who expected me to be more coherent for my own birthday celebration. However, I can certainly say that it was the grandest birthday party I've ever had, since I finally combined all the little pockets of friends I have around Austin. They all seemed to get along, too--perhaps I seek out the same kind of person wherever I go.

Today I'm working at a temp job answering phones. I answer the phone. For 9 hours. Every day. That's my only job. Wow. Want to hear more about it? Well, there are over 40 extensions just on the phone itself, and then--

[blog readers cover their eyes and scream]

Okay, I'm stopping. Have a good night, all. I heart you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jefe said...

It was very much worth the trip down there, although next time I'm reverting to my original plan of sleeping on the side of the road, instead of drinking energy drinks until I feel like I'm growing insect wings.

As for being grouchy, you should know by now that if I'm not bitching, I'm not happy.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home