And they whirl and they twirl and they tango

Infrequently updated, uninteresting blather.

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Nothing's Gonna Change My World

             I have a set of books on the New Testament, almost a volume to every corresponding book. I found them in the attic one day. They sit on my shelf now, hopelessly and purposely out of order. You can see this immediately, even if you weren’t familiar with the Bible, because they have numbers across the top: 11, 8, 10, 6, 4, 5…every one but number 2, which was missing from the box in the attic. One day Courtney came in and, seeing them on my bookshelf, was obviously bothered.
           “That’s how anal I am,” she said confidently. “If these were on my shelf it would drive me crazy to have them out of order.” 
           “But there’s one missing,” I said after a long pause. She just looked at me. “If they were all in order, I would be able to see that one is missing. The way they are, I can’t tell.”
            And so it was with my life. I realize this now, that I always kept things disorganized, hectic, and confusing because if I pulled it all together I would know what was missing. That was two years ago, but not much has changed. Perhaps it will never change, because there's always something new to be missing. These days it's my best friend Kyle. Oh, and the recent spat with Cathy the Communist. What will it be tomorrow? Maybe if I bury myself under enough papers I won't ever find out.

Sorry for the morose message, folks. I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be regretting even letting one serious entry into this blog. In the meantime, leave a cheerful message. :)




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I get it now. Between "your journal sucks" and "I hate you", there's a cry for help. You miss el Giles. I see it now. I'm here for you.

Giles

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my obsessive compulsive disorder will allow me to let your bookshelf be awash in disarray and especially not missing that lone volume to the set. You must immediately forward a complete citation [pleases see MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing since you have obviously graduated from the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers] and forward it to my e-mail, FAX, telephone, Instant Messenger [damn, lost that mode of communication with you]. . .

Todd Murray

PS. Sorry Nate.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I am anal (she writes confidently). It seems to help me in my professional life and hinder me in my personal life. So maybe you got the better deal. Is that cheerful? In other news, I got a chaise lounge today. It's really cheerful. I'm going to read 3700378393737 books on it. And it's white (but made of micro-fiber, which doesn't stain) so Ev's hair won't show up on it, and his poop stains won't stain it. If it makes you feel better, I think Kyle hates me too, cause I basically told him it was none of his business why or why not I was or was not doing anything in Tracie and Akbar's wedding. Oops, that was not cheerful. And I think I need to end on a cheerful note. I have a crush on someone at work who calls me "Court." And I love it.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home