And they whirl and they twirl and they tango

Infrequently updated, uninteresting blather.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Nerd Lovin'

Since Harry Anderson sparked so much discussion, I thought I would explore this topic further--that is, the topic of nerdy guys on TV that I wanted to have sex with when I watched their shows. I'll list them here, but this is NOT a bullshit list to fill up blog space. As long as we're clear.

So here they are, presented in no particular order: The Nerdy Guys on TV Shows Who Made Me Want to Get My Freak On. I love nerds!!

1. Harry Anderson from Night Court, of course. See the last post.

2. David Hyde Pierce as Niles from Frasier. Ohhh, baby. Niles is the kind of nerd that geekophiles like me hold up as the gold standard of Dorky Sexiness. He's heartbreakingly insecure, hopelessly romantic, and invariably genteel. You love him for his sincerity, his bumbling, his quirky nerd interests. Niles is a man to excite both mind AND body. In other words, I would do that boy six ways from Sunday.

3. Dave Foley on Newsradio. I don't know quite what it was about Dave that so excited me; he was the nerdy straight man against which all the other freaks on the show played their act. He was always right, always fair, and usually pretty dull, save some witty comments. He never takes any risks, and generally seems wary about the world around him in sort of a Green Acres kind of way. I don't find myself wanting Dave Foley in any other context; I never got excited watching Kids in the Hall. I guess it's that you know Dave is always going to do the right thing. That's definitely the role most nerds play on TV--they're dorky, but they have hearts of gold. Sing it, Neil.

4. Steve Burns, the host from Blue's Clues. I used to watch this while I babysat three kids across the street in Tulsa, and man, it was hard to turn it off (hard to turn ME off, I should say! Yeow!). I'm not going to explain my attraction to this man, because no one I've ever talked to has understood it. I will say, however, that he did NOT die of a drug overdose: that is a vicious urban myth. He's alive and well, in and out of my dreams.

5. Malcolm Gets as Richard from Caroline in the City. Richard was a very dark nerd--black clothing, black trenchcoat, thick-rimmed glasses and unkempt hair. His voice was nasal and he was always uncomfortable around the adult equivalent of the Cool Kids. He loved anything that most people consider dense, pedantic, and morose. He was a king-sized geek. But damn, I wanted to ride him like a dime store pony. Richard had so much pain and loneliness behind his geekiness, you just wanted to rip off his glasses and trenchcoat, make sweet love to him, and hold him close until the sun came up. He was endlessly scathing and critical of the world around him, yet deep down he was incredibly insecure about himself (though he was unimaginably sexy). I think he is my top choice of this list (sorry, Harry).

This has been fun. I'm sure there are many more I could mention, but I have to go meet someone for coffee at the very hip Spiderhouse Cafe. I am such a cool Austin chick.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stationery Girl said...

I've always loved nerds, too! The guy on "That Thing You Do"--forgot his name, he's getting kinda famous now, was always my fave.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve (Blues Clues Guy) comes into Best Buy about once every six months or so. He lives somewhere in the greater OKC area; tough luck you live in Austin, or else you could stalk him on a more intimiate level. Geek.


Giles

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed your opportunity; it appears Steve appeared in Austin at the end of July. However, his presence in the city, I am sure, conjured up some dreams for you that night. For the fanatic in you, see http://www.steveswebpage.com/

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve has a few good songs... you should check him out in concert... he was in austin a few months ago.

Potts

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I. Need. A. New. Entry.
-Courtney

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually doing just fine without any new entries. Keep up the good work.


Giles

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen Giles - she does not need encouragement to keep from blogging. I. Still. Neeeeeeeeeed. A. New. Entry. Or, Giles, if you have a blog, get me the address because I need something to read at work. I can't read about Nerd Lovin' anymore!

-Courtney

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home