And they whirl and they twirl and they tango

Infrequently updated, uninteresting blather.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

On the Horizon

I think one of the most important ways to fend off depression is always to have something to look forward to (to which to look forward). This has become a vital part of my life--planning things in the coming days that I can think about to cheer me up when I'm alone and sad. Today I have three things to look forward to, which makes me very happy.

First, tomorrow I'm meeting a friend of Rachel's at the Spiderhouse Cafe. Ever since I moved here, she's been trying to get me to hang out with him, but I always felt weird about calling someone I didn't know and saying, "Hi, be my friend." But earlier today I called him and said, "Hi, be my friend," and he was amenable (okay, it didn't actually go like that). I started reading his blog tonight, and he seems very funny and intelligent. He also knows a lot of people in town, so maybe I'll get hooked into an even larger group of intelligent, funny people.

The second thing I'm looking forward to is my mother's visit to Austin on Thursday. She's staying until Sunday and I can't wait! She's never, ever visited me just to visit me. She and my dad would sometimes come to Norman if I had to move or needed something else done, but they never came just for the sake of seeing me. Her visiting me this time all the way down here makes me feel special. :)

The final thing I'm looking forward to is meeting Lorelai and the Giles in Dallas in a few weeks to see my hero, Lewis Black. I'm extremely excited about seeing him perform; I've loved him every since my freshman year when I first heard his IHOP rant. I promptly memorized and performed it for my friends as a party trick. Truth be told, however, I'm most looking forward to seeing people I love, especially now that they are an official couple. They have both been there for me through this entire ordeal, despite the fact that they've been put some very awkward situations. Thanks, guys. I heart you both.

Earlier IM conversation:

me: good luck finding a movie [to watch w/ Lorelai]
me: like you're even going to watch it
Giles: we're not 17
me: yeah, I know, you're NC-17

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humpfh - you're right, we didn't wind up watching the movie, but that was because we sat and talking on my couch, then we went to bed and went straight to sleep! ... but maybe you're right about us sometimes, which makes me happy.

And I'm excited to see you too babe, and glad to hear that this post is a little more upbeat than the last couple. I'm thinking about you all the time, and I'll talk to you soon.

-Lorelai

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home